ATN Solar Car Team (click: ) is a new Australian Cruiser-class solar car team. They are attempting something I have never seen done before – design and construction of a solar car by a team distributed across a continent. According to the initial press release:
- Curtin University (Perth) will handle the driver controls, lighting, instrumentation & telemetry
- University of Technology Sydney will handle the suspension & mechanical systems
- Queensland University of Technology (Brisbane) will handle the solar collector, battery & motors (note: QUT left the ATN group of universities in September 2018, so this may change)
- University of South Australia (Adelaide) will handle project management & also work on the solar collector
- RMIT University (Melbourne) will handle body design & component integration
I will be very interested to see if they can make this work and which virtual team tools and techniques they will use to do so. So far, ATN Solar Car Team has produced a number of quite different design concepts. The video below shows one of the more interesting ones, and has produced many admiring comments:
Note: Independently of this effort, the experienced Team Arrow will continue as a Cruiser-class team based in Brisbane (also associated with QUT).