After the Homestead National Monument checkpoint, the route enters the mountains, which will be a challenge. There is a climb of about 920 m (3000 ft) between Homestead N.M. and Scotts Bluff:
The weather looks like it will be mostly sunny in Kansas, though perhaps with some rain in Nebraska. The Principia team noted a beautiful sunrise in Holton, KS – a morning with promise!
There has been some news coverage of yesterday’s leg of the race:
- Topeka Capital-Journal, interviewing Michigan
- Daily Journal, interviewing Principia
- News-Leader, with multiple photographs
- Ozarks First, with video of several interviews
Update 1: Here are early GPS positions (missing Michigan, Toronto, and Dunwoody, who seem to have nonfunctional GPS units). However, Michigan is already at the Homestead checkpoint.
|42||Missouri S&T||81 km/h (50 mph)||94 km (58 mi) to Homestead|
|32||Principia||82 km/h (51 mph)||116 km (72 mi) to Homestead|
|828||Appalachian State (Sunergy)||60 km/h (37 mph)||127 km (79 mi) to Homestead|
|6||Berkeley (CalSol)||56 km/h (35 mph)||141 km (88 mi) to Homestead|
|17||Illinois State||55 km/h (34 mph)||194 km (121 mi) to Homestead|
|35||Minnesota||69 km/h (43 mph)||199 km (124 mi) to Homestead|
|9||Iowa State (PrISUm)||74 km/h (46 mph)||208 km (129 mi) to Homestead|
|92||ETS Quebec (Eclipse)||46 km/h (28 mph)||223 km (138 mi) to Homestead|
|55||Poly Montreal (Esteban)||–||230 km (143 mi) to Homestead|
Speeds here are taken directly from the GPS feed, so may be unreliable. Distances are measured along the route.
Update 2: First arrivals into Homestead were Michigan (2) at 09:15:27, Toronto (77) at 10:29:03, and Dunwoody (51) at 10:37:52.
Update 3: The timing board is as follows:
|Team||Start||Topeka In||Topeka Out||Homestead In||Homestead Out|
|9 Iowa State||09:07||17:13:45||17:58:45||12:57:33||13:42:33|
|17 Illinois State||09:07||16:46:45||17:31:45||13:09:35||13:53:50|
|42 Missouri S&T||09:02||15:41:25||16:26:25||10:56:10||11:41:10|
|55 Poly Montreal||09:09||17:22:51||18:07:51||–||–|
|92 ETS Quebec||09:08||17:25:52||18:10:52||13:17:37||14:02:37|
|828 App State||09:05||16:00:51||16:45:51||11:35:11||12:20:11|
Since Nebraska is apparently a dead zone for cellular coverage, and GPS feeds have therefore failed, here are estimated end-of-day positions using average speeds from the table above:
Here is the Homestead checkpoint:
And here is Michigan rolling through the Nebraska Sandhills, still in the lead:
- Toronto (77) is, I have heard, near Halsey, NE.
- Missouri S&T (42) appear to be in the same general area.
- Dunwoody (51) appear to be just a little behind.
- Principia (32) say that they are at Broken Bow, NE.
- Appalachian State (828) also say that they are at Broken Bow, NE, having had a driver injury from barbed wire.
- Iowa State (9) is, I have heard, just past Grand Island, NE.
- Illinois State (17) is, I have heard, approaching Grand Island, NE.
- Minnesota (35) say that they are in York, NE.
- ETS Quebec (92) say that they are in Geneva, NE, having had various problems.
I’m not sure about Berkeley (team 6).
Update 4: Here are those reported positions on the map: