21 Solar Team Twente (Red One)
The Dutch team from the University of Twente came 3rd in the World Solar Challenge Challenger class in 2013, travelling from Darwin to Adelaide in 37 hours and 38 minutes (an average speed of 79.7 km/h). Two years before (in 2011), they came 5th. This year, with their new car Red One (photo above by Jérôme Wassenaar), they hope to win.
- Car weight: 149 kg
- Solar cell efficiency: over 22%
- Motor efficiency: 98%
- Li-ion battery pack: 20 kg
- Asymmetric design: cockpit shadow only falls on the solar panel in the afternoon
- Team leader: Irene van den Hof
- Drivers: Lars van der Aa, Coen Hartjes, Timothy Teoh, and Wouter Put
Interestingly, the car number (21) is a deliberate pun (for “Twente-1”). We wish them all the best with their goal of being “number one” this year. Good luck, team 21!
For up-to-date lists of all World Solar Challenge 2015 teams, see: